Dealing With Worry

This post is a mish-mash of my jumbled thoughts and for that I apologise already. I already know that structure will be lost in this post, and I hope you can forgive me for using my blog as a bit of a diary here. Basically I'm trying to organise my thoughts and make myself feel better. I'm dealing with a lot of worry lately, and whether it's justified or not; it's starting to take it's toll on me.

Recently I've had especially happy things happen, and for that I'm so excited/hopeful/grateful. I also have a partner who supports me through everything, and great friends. But unfortunately I've always been the type of person to seriously worry about things I don't need to, or let little events alter my whole happiness. I'm grateful I've not had any panic attacks in a while, or felt that serious anxiety that can sometimes cripple me. But what I'm feeling lately, although vastly different, is still affecting me as badly I think.

My recent unhappiness comes from my current job. It's a running joke that this year I've had a handful of different jobs and I haven't sat still for very long in one place. Mostly that's been from wanting to find something I like, or just generally wanting more work hours/etc. You know, the usual reasons people find new jobs. Right now I'm working part time in a retail store, with nowhere near enough hours. And you know.. it's retail, ughh. But even that's not the problem. The problem is my boss. She is someone who has been very curt with me in the past, but now has taken it to another level. She has taken to berating me for things out of my control, in front of other colleagues. She has began to speak to me in a very rude and demeaning manner. She snaps at almost anything. She is never grateful when I'm trying to be helpful. And she never speaks to me with any sort of manners or respect. 
Now please let me be clear, I know I can be a sensitive person sometimes, and I also know I can't go through life with everyone liking me. That's fine. But I still expect to be treated fairly, and I don't feel that I am right now. It's making me so miserable in and outside of work. If you follow me on Twitter, you may have seen my status a few days ago saying how miserable I was. I had left work after another awful experience and walking away didn't give me any relief or pleasure. I ended up crying on the way home, despite really trying not to. I imagine it would have looked hilarious had it not been so upsetting..

This sort of thing has become more common the past week or two, and it's really affecting me. I've had trouble sleeping, I count down the days/hours until my next shift at work with utter dread, I've been crying a fair few times, and even today I made an excuse not to go in - which I never do in any job. Which reminds me to also mention - I am a really good worker - In case you think that I obviously must be doing something to justify this treatment I've been getting. This is one thing I can state with confidence in my life. No matter what job I'm in, whether its big or small, whether I love it or hate it - I do it well. I try hard, I don't slack off, I help wherever I can, I'm friendly and pleasant to everyone I work with or deal with, and I a reliable. Seriously I have so many things in life I am not confident about, but this is not one of them. 

So here I am with a constant tummy-churning feeling, lack of sleep, no appetite, not able to enjoy anything, not talking to friends as much, counting down the hours and forever worrying about my next encounter with this woman who I'm letting cause me so much unhappiness. I wish I didn't care. I wish I didn't worry. God knows Gary has told me to just quit enough times. But I can't. I feel trapped, and it's made things even worse. I'd feel awful if I left without having another job, forcing Gary to earn for us and meaning we're skint for a while. He works so hard already. I'd be wracked with guilt. So right now I'm job hunting like crazy, and hoping someone phones soon, this weekend, tomorrow, today, in a minute. It can't come quick enough.

This post is to ask for help I suppose. Any advice or tips to dealing with worry? Anything I could do each day to change my outlook, or concentrate on the positive things? I'll take anything I can get. I do feel I can't speak to my manager, before any of you suggest. The thought of that would make me feel a million times worse. I wish I could deal with these things head on, but I know I won't/can't. Also, there is only one manager there, nobody else, no supervisors etc. It's a small workplace with only her, and then a few of us part time staff. I'm not after a solution to deal with her, as I think nasty people (and she really is..) will always be that way. I'm after help with how I can deal with my issues. My over worrying and increasing misery, if possible.

And finally just a note - a thank you. If you've read this far I appreciate it so much more than I could say. I'm just writing away hoping that getting it out there will help a little, I hope. So thank you for reading my words and putting up with a not so positive post.






post signature


Keep up to date with my latest posts by following me! :)
Bloglovin - Twitter - Instagram - Pinterest - Facebook

9 comments

  1. I would say you should look everywhere, and just apply for as many other jobs as you can.

    I can understand what boat you are in. A few years ago, I had a co-worker start harassing me and I let this go on for MONTHS because I was just thinking that I wouldn't be able to properly prove it to anyone, therefore they wouldn't take me seriously with the accusations.
    But then after VERY lewd remarks he made towards me that made me want to vomit, and one evening where he kept taking the mickey out of me and also saying I was lazing about (which wasn't the case - it was a busy night, and I was having to tell two trainees what to do as well as managing the whole floor as it got crazy busy and he kept vanishing out back for cigarettes...) it was finally then that I went to my manager(s). They listened etc, but then told me they couldn't take sides as they were friends with him...that is clearly taking sides!

    They gave us seperate shifts but then after a couple of weeks, forced us to work together because other people were off ill etc. That's when I handed in my notice. If I was you, I'd just start looking and apply for everything. I know the situation is different, but don't ruin your life just to make a boss happy. And look, if Gary is saying to quit, then quit! You may struggle for a bit, but who isn't in this day and age my dear?

    If sticking around there doesn't feel right in your gut, then get out of there quicker than Speedy Gonzales.

    www.megsiobhan.co.vu

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awful to read you are having to deal with such a nightmare of a person Jemma. I know it is easy enough for someone to say "leave your job" as this is clearly not good for your mental health and wellbeing but I understand how important it is to have a job and how hard it can be to walk away from one not knowing when you will get another one. I have been very lucky to work for lovely people but I have witnessed staff being belittled my management when i am out and about. it's so hard not to take it home with you, but at the end of each day, try and visualise boxing away all the drap things she has said to you or even burning something that represents the frustration you feel - like scribble it all down, then burn it. Also, maybe try and imagine her with green wings on her back or a dragon's head on or naked even, when she is being a bitch, just to try and take the edge off the sting. And don't take it personally, as hard as that is. She is clearly out to get anyone who she percieves as weaker and you need to emotionally cut yourself off from her. I hope you find some sort of resolution so that this awful person doesn't drag you down!! :) x

    Brenda BusyBee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so incredibly bad for you. Like Gary, I would advise you to quit. But I am aware you can't right this second but as soon as you can I would definitely leave the situation. I can't believe people like this are actually made managers. If she treats people she works closely with this way, imagine how she treats other people. You should just stay as nice as possible and do not retaliate just to expose how mean she is being. I hope you find some sort of solution. :)

    http://fishnetsxd.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand humans. It's weird when we think all the people that surround us our nice and then one person reminds us that the world can really suck. I don't understand people like that. She must be taking something out on you. Which I can totally not stand for. I agree with Meg to apply to as many jobs as you can and then leave quietly. Don't answer too many questions, that way the aggressor has no power.

    Please do some happy things to make up for this. If I were you I would watch a ton of Youtube videos :)

    doitfortheirony.blogspot.com / Funny creator style person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Firstly, I really appreciate this post, it must have taken a while to put together and also a lot of guts! It sounds like the problem is not you, it's her. You are doing your job and as your boss she should be acting professional and if she doesn't like you personally for whatever reason she should leave it at the door, the workplace is not the place for that. In terms of worry, I know it is a lot easier said than done but I try to not over think things, and if I am feeling worried about something that is out of my control I tell myself that. You shouldn't have to quit because of someone else, if you feel like you have to then I guess you could say it's a form of bullying. I really hope things soon improve for you lovely. All the love in the world!

    www.hayleyeszti.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. How awful what you're dealing with at work. I mean... I know you need a job but I think if things don't get better, you should leave. Nobody deserves to be so unhappy and mistreated for no reason. I hope things get better for you soon. In regards to advice on dealing with worry... I'd recommend CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy). It's life changing and your GP can recommend you for free. I'd definitely give that a try, if u haven't yet. xx

    Renata | Speaking Beauty UK

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww darling, I feel your pain. When I was younger I was so quiet and shy I'd often get treated like that. My confidence has grown as I've gotten older and it doesnt affect me much nowadays. The funny thing is, I am still quiet and appear shy so certain ppl when they first meet me tend to talk down to me til I answer them back, or respond in a way that makes them see what a dickwad they are being. I still get intimidated by certain people, unfortunately there will always be those types who take joy in making others feel bad, I don't know what they get out of it, a sense of power perhaps. Its not a good situation to worry about going into work so I wish you well in your job hunt.
    As for coping mechanisms, well try to remember that you dont need to put other people down to be happy...which is more than what can be said for your manager. I imagine writing this post has already helped you a wee bit xxx.
    It also may be an idea to start making notes of what she is saying, how she is behaving etc, there may be a time in the future you feel up to reporting her. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish I had some advise you but to be really honest I don't. All I can say is that you are a better person then her and you can get through this. If you can't find a new job soon and it does get too much then leave before it affects your health.
    You will get through this and remember that you are a good person :)

    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending lots of hugs! I know how horrible worry can feel, especially when you feel like you can't do anything about it. I've seen from your recent post that you've got a new job so congratulations! Hope you're feeling a lot better :)

    Emma x
    Writing Essays With Wine

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I'd love to know what you thought :)

Latest Instagrams

© Dorkface. Design by Fearne.