One Year Blogging


Exactly one year ago today, I published my first blog post here on Dorkface. I had dabbled in other blogs before; much smaller, badly thought out, and I never stuck by them. Last March however, at a time when my anxiety, stress and unhappiness was at an all time high, I decided to create a blog that I would really put all my effort into. I wanted to create a place that would become my online 'home', where I could put all my creativity to some use, write about things that interested me, and focus my life on the things that mattered to me.

And so my little journey began. This blog encouraged me to be a positive person, to strive to be better wherever I could, to step out of my little bubble and open myself up to the world and all the different  and wonderful people in it. I didn't realise this at the time of course, I was simply writing about beauty products in the beginning. It took a while before I realised I wanted to also write about my experiences, my thoughts, Art, my inspirations and all of my dreams.

I've had the most amazing things happen to me since I began this blog, and I'm grateful for new things every single day. I've made some wonderful friends, I've been brave and put myself out there, I've gone to meet ups and found the loveliest people, I've somehow gained followers who read my words on a daily basis, I've felt more creative than I ever have before, I've been invited to special events because of my blog, I've gained a support system I never knew existed, I've changed my career and I have become a totally different person. I can barely recognise the girl I used to be, as she was nowhere near as happy as I am now. I feel like I was living in my own little cocoon, and this blog gave me the drive to push myself free, and burst out into the sunshine in my truest form.

I almost can't believe a whole year has gone by already, yet I feel as if I've been doing this forever. I really struggle to imagine what the hell I used to do with my time before this blog. I simply cannot imagine not doing this now, and I'd never want to. I've learned so much in such a short space of time, and so much has changed. I wonder what life will look like in another year?

I'd like to just take today to say a huge thank you to anyone who ever visits this blog and cares what I have to say. No matter what you're reading; whether it's my latest beauty haul, thoughts on current events, my artwork, empowering other women or just checking to see what I've been up to this week - you have made me so happy and it does make a difference. Thank you for encouraging me and believing in me and giving me a place to stay. Because when you visit this blog on your laptop/phone/tablet; you are giving me a little place to share my thoughts with you, you are letting me into your life, if only for a moment. I'm eternally grateful for that time and space in your mind. 

Knowing I can write these words down and people will come to read them... Amazing. I hope I do you proud.

I have no idea what the next year has in store for me, but I'm feeling good about it. I feel like I can handle anything bad, and I'll be grateful for everything good that comes my way. I hope you continue to join me on this journey, because it's a hell of a ride.

I love you all.



post signature


Keep up to date with my latest posts by following me! :)
Bloglovin - Twitter - Instagram - Pinterest - Facebook

34 comments

  1. What a journey you've had. Well done and keep going. It's obviously right for you and a positive in your life. Enjoy the eclipse since I told you when to find it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AND I love you!


    oh and my imaginary unicorn wants cake right now. He's weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy one year! :) I've only recently discovered your blog but I always enjoy reading your posts, especially your artwork! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Jemma! Such a fab achievement xxx

    Kirsty - Effortlessly Excessive

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoooo happy one year, Jemma! I'm so glad to hear how much of a positive change your blog has been for you. Here's to many, many more xxx

    Charlotte / Colours & Carousels

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Blogabirthery!
    Rubi | The Den | http://www.the-den.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on one year! Your blog (and your hair) is super cute! I wish you the very best in your next year of blogging. http://www.hertaintedlips.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy blog birthday to you. I love your blog and I am so glad that you are happier now then ever. Good luck for the next year too :)

    Pams Stuff and Things

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on all you have achieved with this blog. I absolutely love it and how you post on a variety of different things. I will most definitely remain a faithful little follower to your blog. :D
    I can't wait to see what you have in store in the future. :D

    Ellen,
    http://fishnetsxd.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy one year! So happy for you Jemma! Xxx

    Anisha ♥ All You Need Is Red Lipstick

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy bloggy birthday! Here's to many more fabulous years of blogging :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on one year of blogging, that is amazing! xx

    Bethan Likes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on one year Jemma! You have a beautiful blog to be very proud of :) x

    Brenda BusyBee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations Jemma, you definitely have a blog to be proud of! :-) here's to the next year (and the year after...and the year after etc!)
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Blog Birthday!! Here's to many more great years!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy blogging Birthday! Congrats on reaching the 1 year landmark! Great achievement! I'm also so happy to read that your blog has changed your life for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Blog Birthday to you, Jemma! Your posts are always interesting, colourful and fun to read and I love coming back to catch up with your latest creative projects and antics, and you always put a smile on my face! Here's to many more years of blogging too! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy first year of blogging! Both you abd your blog are amazing.
    Here's to many more happy blogging years!

    Gem x
    amilliongingerisms.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy first year of blogging! Both you abd your blog are amazing.
    Here's to many more happy blogging years!

    Gem x
    amilliongingerisms.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Blogiversary! Can't believe how far you've come in such a short space of time and can't wait to see where you are in another year!!
    So proud of you.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. this has just made me realise my blog turned two earlier this month and i somehow totally forgot! happy blog anniversary to you, and here's to many more :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy First Birthday! I love your blog and look forward to watching how much you grow and progress by next year! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy bloggiversary lovely! :) You should indeed be very proud of this space, it's a great blog :D So pleased for you that you are happier within yourself too. Keep at it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wishing you all the best!

    Love, Dessi from dazzledmag.ocm

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats!!! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations on your blogging birthday! I always love to hear about the ways that blogging has positively impacted on people's lives because it's been exactly the same for me. Isn't it great that there are so many of us sharing this space but it's still full of love and support and encouragement?! Here's to another year, really pleased for you lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congrats on your blog birthday! I hope that you keep going, your blog is amazing ♥
    Amy xx

    Perfect Imperfections

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy blog birthday! Mines coming up to it's 3rd birthday x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness x

    ReplyDelete
  30. ah this is such a great post and Happy Birthday to your wonderful blog! It is so nice to read that has been such a positive influence on your life and i am so happy for you lovely Jemma xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Blog day hon So well done ! Proud Aunt ! Mo xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations! I've only just discovered your blog but I love it xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy belated blog birthday! I just found your blog and I love it x
    lipstickandlightening.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I'd love to know what you thought :)

Latest Instagrams

© Dorkface. Design by Fearne.