It's My Birthday!


Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to meeeeee... Okay you get the point. Today I turn the the very strange 27 years old. Oh god that sounds so old (for me!), I still think I'm like 18/19 in my head! It seems like my late twenties have totally crept up on me and I'm so unprepared. I sometimes have to take a moment to think how old I am... is that just me? 

It's a baffling thing to stop counting birthdays, to stop looking forward to becoming a year older. I've found that the older we get, the less our birthdays our celebrated - unless we take control and own that celebration for ourselves. And with basically everything in this culture telling us it's the most awful thing ever to get older, it kind of takes the sparkle out of it.

I hope today I can get that sparkle back. I want to reflect on the things I haven't done, and not be depressed by it - but be motivated! I'd like to embrace this mature person I've become (okay not all the time..) and accept myself for every little mistake I've made, and to celebrate the changes I've gone through to get here.


10 Things I thought would have happened by now:

1. I'd have traveled all over the world.
2. I'd have my own house, obviously.
3. I'd be married already.
4. I'd have at least once child already.
5. I'd be in my amazing dream job.
6. I'd have learned to dress better.
7. I'd have learnt another language.
8. I'd be writing my own book.
9. I'd be a brilliant cook.
10. I'd definitely know what the hell I'm doing.


Now let's summarise shall we?

1 - Ahhh I wish I could travel a lot more, sadly I don't have the money. But I'm okay with this, anywhere I want to go I'll save for each year and make the effort for at least one lovely trip :)
2 - Own house? Bish please. I'm happy as larry in our flat, and I'm grateful too. Nobody losing sleep over not having two floors.
3 - I'm amazed I was so naive to think I'd be married by this age. It seems crazy now! Gary and I have already planned our wedding and we're not even engaged haha, but I can't see it happening for some time. And that's never gonna be a problem. We hold hands and make promises to love each other always every single day. A white dress won't change that; but it'll be lovely whenever it happens.
4 - A child?!?!!! Oh dear lord no. I'm still a baby myself okay! Sheesh.
5 - I can't complain. I'm in a brilliant job, that's getting me closer to one of my dream jobs everyday (I have a few!). But I think life is all about always evolving & finding new things to aim for anyway.
6 - Oh dear. This'll probably never happen. I've made my peace with it; today I wore a hoody and beanie hat and flowery skirt and pumps. I'm okay with being this calamity.
7 - I still wish this :( I really should, I think it'd be an amazing skill to have, and something to be proud of. But oh man I don't have time!!
8 - Well okay I really should get moving with this, but I at least have my idea! I have the basic plot, my characters, some scenes written out, a chapter here and there. It's still only like 10%, but it's something.
9 - Hahahahahaha.

And finally, number 10.
- I've learned to find joy in not knowing what's going to come next in life. There is this beautiful madness in the chaos of it all. It makes you fierce and so much stronger. It makes you appreciate every god damn second you have on this earth, because nothing's for sure. So smile for your health, smile because of the family you have, smile because you have freedom and you get to have a job. Smile because it makes others smile, and smile because you are beautiful.

I've made mistakes sure, but I've also become someone so much stronger, braver, knowledgeable and kind; I think. I may be getting older, but I'm seeing things with fresh eyes. There is magic to be had in this world, and the next adventure is just around the corner.

Hello twenty seven.
I think I could get used to you.




post signature


Keep up to date with my latest posts by following me! :)
Bloglovin - Twitter - Instagram - Pinterest - Facebook

30 comments

  1. Woohoo Happy Bloody Birthday!! And welcome to the 27 club (although I'll be leaving it soon *sob*). I like to think we are always growing up but never actually get there...case in point: I got married last year (very grown up) but this year I started collecting Unicorns (not so grown up)!
    Embrace having younger people think you know it all, whilst not actually knowing anything important 😂.

    Much Love AJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Jemma, hope you have a lovely day and this post made me smile so much. You still have loads of time to get all those things done and if you don't..oh well :P
    Enjoy your day xxx

    Pams Stuff and Things

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a wonderful day! I am turning 27 this year too, and I'm not where I though I would be either, but I wouldn't change a thing! I love my little life and things like babies and marriage will come when they are ready to :)
    Big hugs and lots of Birthday love!
    Emily xx
    Emily May Designs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Jemma! Hope you have a fantastic day! I'm gonna be 27 as well this year and still feel like I'm about 10 years younger haha xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday! I'm 27 too and in pretty much exactly the same situation as you. I'm super happy without a baby and a husband and try and explore as much of the UK as I ca. Yes, faraway destinations are glamorous but Wales has some of the best and award winning beaching in the world x

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
    Loving the cake - have a fab day hun x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to you and all the best on your very special day. Really enjoyed your post and your reflections. My birthday is coming up very slowly (2 months time) and it would be too depressing for me to look at what I wanted to have achieve by now and what has actually come true. Hope you're having a fantastic day, received some awesome gifts and are surrounded by your loved ones. Hope to speak soon xx

    Caz | Lunch Break Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday! I hope you have a grand day! I love celebrating my birthday, even though I'm not fond of getting older.
    Rubi | Instagram | The Den | http://www.the-den.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! Happy Birthday! Mine is tomorrow so i'm feelin' that April birthday spirit. As I prepare to leave 27 you're about to make memories with it, tis a beautiful thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Hun<3
    I agree about the baby business, you have your whole life to have kids just have fun for now before all the responsibilities come! Xx
    Love Vicki | victoriajanex

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday!! Hope you've had a lovely day!

    Hollie // hollieinwanderlust.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday, hope your having a nice day, I'm already part of the 27 club & your list of thing is v similar to how mine would be & the not been at any off the point yet. I still don't feel like an adult yet! lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday Jemma! Hope you have a lovely day! :)
    I turned 25 this year & was convinced that by this age I'd be married to my dream man with all my shit together..Obviously I'm not but I'm all good with that because I truly believe everything happens for a reason and when it's meant to be it will be! xx
    www.seemenotcp,wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday! I definitely feel you on the needing to keep the sparkle in a birthday front. Who gives a fuck what society wants? Live it up on your birthday ;)

    Steph - http://nourishmeclean.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday! This is such a great post, it shows that you don't need to achieve all of your goals or know what the hell you're doing to be happy ♥
    Amy xx

    Little Moon Dragon

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday Jemma! Good luck with everything, lol. Quick warning that learning a new language is really hard: there's vocabulary, often new letters and grammar! But certain languages are really helpful sometimes, so it's worth it :) for example, I learn Arabic at school and used to *hate* it until not so long ago but now that I am getting to know people who speak Arabic only, it makes me wish I'd payed more attention in class. I live in Israel, so there are many Muslims and Muslim cities. If I get really good at it it could help me get into whatever I'd want to do in the army (since everyone has to go here)! Have a lovely year xx

    ZoesSecretStyle.blogspot.co.il

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this post! I'm exactly the same with unrealistic expectations for the future - the most important thing to learn in your twenties I think is to embrace the uncertainty and make the most of what you have right in front of you!

    And also... HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)

    Alex
    efflorescentdream.co.uk
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday gorgeous lady! Still got plenty of time to do all those things, now's a great time to start! Hope you had an amazing day and got spoilt rotten xx

    Sophie Elizabeth
    www.popcornandglitter.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday Jemma I hope you have had a fantastic day, wish for all your dreams to come true :) <3 c

    ReplyDelete
  20. aw happy birthday sweet! wishing you all the best for your 27th year on this strange, beautiful planet. and another successful year of blogging! x
    Mara // marashares

    ReplyDelete
  21. Firstly - I want that cake
    Secondly - this post sounds like it could've been written by me!! I turned 27 last week and am worried about exactly the same things!

    Alice
    thesmalldesk.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wishing you the happiest of birthdays, Jemma! This was a lovely post to read and I've often tried to map out my life and it's never worked out the way I had intended so I completely relate! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow what a lovely birthday cake Jemma,
    Hope you had a lovely birthday.
    I know how you feel about the age thing time just creeps up on you I'm 37 now and some days I feel like I am in my twenties.

    Andrea

    https://beautywithandrea36.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Birthday! I thought all these things too, being in your late 20s always seemed so grown up!

    Kariss x www.shystrangemanic.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happiest of birthdays to you lovely! Don't worry about those 10 things, I've just turned 31 and am still waiting for it all to happen! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Belated happy birthday! Hope you had a fabulous day! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. A belated happy happy birthday! I'm totally with you on number 10!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I'd love to know what you thought :)

Latest Instagrams

© Dorkface. Design by Fearne.