How Blogging Changed Everything


The best thing to come from 2014 was definitely this blog. I owe so much to it. If you've followed me for a while, you may already know some of the ways this blog has changed things. But I wanted to write a post giving you all the full story, with the best ending- Spoiler alert. We'll have to back right up to the start here, to give my story some context. So please forgive me if this gets too long, but I will try to keep this as brief as possible.

My qualifications and experience have been a little shaky to say the least, the past few years. After school I went on to study Art and Design at college for A Levels, and I spent my best years so far there. I absolutely loved it, I learned so much, had brilliant friends and felt so inspired and ambitious. After that though came University, and this is where things got a little different. I started out on a Graphic Design course, and sure enough made plenty of friends and had a great first year at Uni. I knew something wasn't right though. The classes bored me out of my mind, I weren't being creative in any way, and I kept putting off work until the last minute. Or sometimes, even playing on the sympathy of my friends to do it for me! - I owe a lot to my friend Jason for this. He was a lifesaver! 

Anyway, I knew I was on the wrong course. And as scary as it was to realise, I told my tutor about how unhappy I was. She suggested I switch to Fine Art, although I'd have to start again as a first year. This didn't bother me though; I liked the idea of a fresh start, and maybe this would be the change I needed.


With Laura


So I dropped Graphics, said goodbye to some of the best friends ever, and started again as a Fine Art student. Unfortunately, things didn't go right here either. Sure enough I made friends, including Laura - whose blogs you can find here by the way! - but I always felt kind of distant. This time is what I now refer to, as the worst time of my life. Somewhere between 2009-2010 I kind of lost myself. I ended a relationship with a nice guy, to start one with the worst guy. Don't get me wrong, me and the nice guy still needed to break up (he's still a great friend), but I then went onto the most unhealthy, fucked up, twisted, cruel relationship I've ever had. It started to change me. I lost all my confidence, I was no longer the 'loud/funny/bubbly' girl I used to be, I had been replaced by a quiet, unconfident, weak person. I didn't make much effort with Uni friends, or any friends to be honest. My work began slipping behind, and I had lost my creativity.

Then the relationship I was in got worse, ..much worse, then ended abruptly. I had been thrown out of the place I was living, I dropped out of Uni, and had to go live back home with my mum. I was unemployed, not in education, living out of boxes, and feeling pretty alone. I fell into a deep depression, and could barely get myself out of bed some days. I didn't even bother unpacking my things for 2 months. My parents were lovely and so supportive, they tied everything they could to bring me back. 

And then.. a few months later, my Dad died. Suddenly and out of nowhere, he had a heart attack and was gone. This was the most painful thing that had ever happened to me, and it still kills me to realise the last times he seen me; I was in a deep depression. He never got to see me change, grow, be happy again. That first year after he died is kind of a blur to be honest. But weirdly enough, it forced me to pull myself out of my depression. I had realised how short life is, how much I needed to make the most of any time I had.




Shortly after, I met Gary and began working part time jobs. I started to see my friends more, and feel a little more like myself again. But flitting from one crappy retail job to another was hell. In my spare time though, early 2014, I decided to start a blog. I'd been toying with the idea for too long, and finally decided to give it a go. I had suddenly found a place to encourage my creativity, find others with the same likes, learn and grow. 




I've made some amazing friends, found something that inspires me, and brings me some great opportunities. And as of December 2014, my blog landed me a digital/tech job for a website company - even though I had NO experience or relevant qualifications. How crazy is that?! After much encouragement from Gary to actually apply for the Social Media/digital jobs I'd been lusting after, I finally got a call for an interview. I had put on my CV; the address to my blog/social media and just how much I wanted to change my career to go into this sort of work. And somehow, it worked. I was honest in my interview about my lack of experience or relevant qualifications. But I expressed my passion for this sort of work, and talked about everything I do in my spare time to learn and get involved. I talked about my blog, and how important social media is today. My employer was impressed, and offered me the job 45 minutes after leaving the interview. It was the happiest end to 2014 I could have ever asked for. 

I am now learning so much more than I imagined in this job, and getting valuable experience I would never have dreamed I could. It just goes to show that blogging is now being taken seriously, and if you are passionate enough about something, even without the experience - it is still 100% possible to go for.

I look forward to seeing what new things are in store for me in 2015, and I hope you guys enjoyed reading this. Remember, don't give up!

post signature


Keep up to date with my latest posts by following me! :)
Bloglovin - Twitter - Instagram - Pinterest - Facebook

62 comments

  1. It's amazing that blogging can change someone's life around like that! You have a great blog, and I hope you continue to feel inspired and enjoy your job and your blog :)

    xx Susan
    growingdaydreams.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your story is very inspiring, Jemma! I'm happy for you and wish you all the best! At the same time I hope that my passion for blogging, beauty bring me some career/job in the future :) x

    Mummy’s Beauty Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! I'll keep my fingers tightly crossed! Thanks so much for taking the time to read this! xx

      Delete
  3. This post is so inspiring Jemma and I commend you for persevering when life got tough. Everything does work out eventually, I know that too. I'm glad to hear about your new job you sound so happy and excited about the prospects for the future and you really do deserve it!

    Lovely post

    Megan x

    http://therestisstillunwrittenblog1.blogspot.co.uk



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so thrilled you enjoyed it ^__^
      It helps to know that the dark times passed.
      Thanks so much for taking the time to read this! x

      Delete
  4. I am so immensely happy for you and absolutely love this post! You've been through some horribly tough times, and come out of it stronger and determined - go you! :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading this and leaving me such a wonderful Twitter comment also! I appreciate it so much Cat and it felt wonderful to know I could share this :) xx

      Delete
  5. It makes me so happy to hear how happy you are now, Jemma! I totally understand how you feel. I started my blog last year and it's helped nurture my creativity. Which has has helped me be an overall happier person in every other aspect of my life!

    xo
    Meggan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does have like, a knock on effect doesn't it? It made me more creative, more social, more confident and a little braver! ?I dont know what I'd do without blogging now. Thanks so much for reading this Meggan! xxx

      Delete
  6. You are such an inspiration to many people Jemma and so glad that you are finally getting happy :)
    Such a nice person deserves to be happy :)

    Pams Stuff and Things
    LORAC PRO Palette Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet! Thank you so much Pam! xxxx

      Delete
  7. You are incredible, Jemma, and you deserve all of this amazing stuff happening to you! That job is very lucky to have you and I too can't wait to see where it takes you! Don't forget us! haha! ;)

    Dee | www.promptsbydee.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pshhh!
      You are the bestest Dee, I appreciate every time you guys support me and make me smile because it's been plenty! <3
      xxx

      Delete
  8. Similar to you - my degree is in CRAFTS, but now I work in SEO/blogger outreach after having a few jobs in PR/social media and the like! All based on my blog. My blog is my main tool for getting jobs and it shows your hard work really can pay off. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much!
      Wow, that is so bloody cool, it's kind of unreal isn't it? The world is changing, haha! I'm so happy for you Terri! xx

      Delete
  9. I lost my dad very suddenly when I was 24, in 2008, so I empathise massively. Sending love xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca, my heart goes out to you. I know how it feels and to be honest there are no words. Thank you for your kind wishes <3

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on your new job! Your story is really inspiring. I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your dad, I can't imagine how that must feel like but congrats to you for coming through it all stronger x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kate. It was a time I cant even put into words. It still doesnt feel real to me, but I hope I'm making him proud <3
      I appreciate you reading this, thank you! xx

      Delete
  11. I'm sorry that you had to go through all that crap Jemma but I am so happy that you have got your happy ending! Everyone deserves happiness and I hope it's only up from here for you :) xx

    Brenda BusyBee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Brenda my little love! <3
      It was truly awful tbh.. but I've totally had my life turned around and I can't believe it. I'm so grateful!
      Thanks so much for your kind words! xxx

      Delete
  12. Such an inspiring post, so lovely to see how blogging can change someone's life so positively! You've been through some really tough times, and it's great to see you're coming out at the other side now :) x

    http://www.emmabydesign.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma! I hope others maybe going through bad times can see this as hopeful!! <3 xx

      Delete
  13. There isn't much I can say other than you are amazing.
    We have to go through hard times to appreciate the good more and I'm so chuffed for the good that has happened to you.

    Love you Jem! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DEFINITELY appreciate all the good stuff so much more now! Looking back puts it all in perspective too <3

      Love you Danielle!!
      xxx

      Delete
  14. Well done on getting the job, it's amazing what blogging can do! Also congratulations on becoming mentally healthier, I hope your struggle with depression is a lot easier now, and also Im so sorry for your loss of your father, although Im sure he would be so proud of you. Sending lots of love and positivity your way!

    Emma x x x
    Writing Essays With Wine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emma <3 IT was so hard to try describe it in this post - but depression was like this great weight holding me down, even on good days. I'm happy to say I now feel lighter than I ever have before, its been a long journey - but I've come out the other side! :)
      Thank you so much for reading this and leaving such kind words xxx

      Delete
  15. You have such an incredible story! I'm sorry to hear of your worst times, but you've done yourself and your Dad extremely proud for getting where you are today :)

    Bethan | Thought from Beth x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely gorgeous post, so inspiring! I'm so pleased for you.

    eliseroseblogs.blogspot.co.uk

    elise rose

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Elise <3
      I really appreciate this!
      I'm glad to share this to show bad times aren't forever :)
      xxx

      Delete
  17. Wow, that a journey! I'm so happy every cloud has a silver lining and all that and I think you're so brave to share your story. I've never had the guts to apply for a Social Media job as I'm not qualified, but props to you for just going for it! <3

    Tara x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Tara!
      I never ever thought I could get this job or anything like it - but somehow being brave worked!! <3 It's truly amazing - don't be scared to aim high!

      Jemma xx

      Delete
  18. oh god this photo!! ahahaaaaa! I'm so proud of you Jem, I know an extent of the really bad places you have been in and the struggles you had especially after your dad, knowing this only makes me appreciate and respect you even more because you are such a strong and wonderful person and you just show that good things happen to good people, you deserve everything you have xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you know and seen me at some bad, bad times. Really weird times too that seen my moods flit so quickly and strangely! I appreciate every second of patience through that and always being an ear for me! <3
      Haha, hope you dont mind me using this photo - I just love it! haha :Dxxxx

      Delete
  19. This post made me tear up at so many points! I can't believe I only recently found your blog, I wish I'd discovered you sooner because your posts always make me smile. I've been going through and picking up new inspiration and ideas with all your creative posts and they always make me smile. It's awful that you had to go through so many rough times to find your happy place now and I can relate to a lot of what you mentioned about being stuck in a deep depression but I'm so glad you pulled through it all and landed your dream job, that's awesome and thank you for sharing this too - it's inspiring to see you come out the other side with a bright start to the year :) - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I replied to this on Twitter - but I just wana say thank you again here Tash! <3
      This comment really struck a chord, and ran deep for me. I appreciate you reading this and connecting so much and really caring <3 I'm so happy you like my posts, obviously! But if I've managed to show someone even for a second that bad times arent forever, and you can change things eventually - then it's worth more than anything else!
      Sending lots of love,
      Jemma xx

      Delete
  20. Thanks so much for sharing this Jemma. You've been through a lot - but I'm so truly happy to hear that things are on the upswing. I wish nothing but the best for you and can't wait to follow along.

    I firmly believe that there is a very healing part of blogging, and I'm always amazed at how many people started blogging for that very reason.

    Sending lots of love and light your way!

    xx Kathryn
    Through the Thicket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've said it perfectly! There is something so soothing and therapeutic to blogging - it can help in so many ways <3
      Sending you lots of love hunnie, you're the best! xxx

      Delete
  21. That's so awesome that blogging not only found you direction in your life it has now landed you a job! Blogging is definitely a hobby, but it can be a big deal and I'm so happy for others when it impacts them positively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I never expected anything from it, and it's already given me so much! xxx

      Delete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This post is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations on your job, it's proof that the dark days don't last forever! You truly are an inspiration and it's great to see how you have channelled something negative into a positive. I too have found strength in blogging last year, it has helped me to get over what was a very rough 2 years for me! A blog really is so powerful! Keep up the good work on the blog, it really was a lovely read!

    Heather X
    www.100waysto30.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww gosh thank you! ♥ Im so glad to know it's helped you so much too! And I appreciate you taking the time to read this Heather- thank you again!! ♥ ♥

      Delete
  24. Really really good post. Inspiring! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  25. You're such an inspiration. To go through what you've been through and to be where you are now is incredible. I know I don't know you as such but your Dad would be immensely proud of you. Keep up the great work. I love reading your blog xx

    www.kirstytalks.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
      This brought me so much joy - thank you for saying such kind things Kirsty xxx

      Delete
  26. I love how strong you remain despite everything, and it's so great to see that you are getting back to your true self after such a devastating state of depression. I am currently in college, not sure what the future will entail but this post really gives me confidence that something is going to work out for me, some way or another.

    Ellen,
    http://fishnetsxd.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow - such an inspiring post! You're living proof that blogs are important and are definitely taken seriously. I'm so sorry about your Dad but hopefully everything you've been through will only make you stronger. I hope you continue blogging and love your new job - you deserve it! :)

    Beth / Bethany Georgina

    ReplyDelete
  28. A brilliant, eye opening post x

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a lovely post, i'm so glad things have started looking up for you :)

    Sarah
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  30. What an amazing story Jemma, you brought a tear to my eyes! Fantastic that everything turned around! Good luck with the new job, it sounds brilliant! I'm new to your blog, but am looking forward to reading future posts!!

    Heather x x

    www.suncreamandsparkles.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am so delighted for you Jemma that things have turned round for you and your story is so emotional and inspiring! I had a tear in my eye reading it! You are an amazing woman and i have always thought that since i first started to follow you and your blog and all i can say is Thank you for being You! xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. I literally teared up reading this!
    I'm so glad you're in a happier place and that your blog has provided you many opportunities :)

    Bex x

    Bubblybex3.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  33. I read some of myself in your words, so it's not to far of a stretch for me to feel you pain. Our journeys have been quite similar and it's fantastic to see how far you've come! There's something much more believable about moving on and getting through something when you see it happen in someone else. It makes your own journey look more feasible and worth it. Thanks for that.

    I hope 2015 is an amazing year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So sorry to hear about your dad. My dad passed away a few years ago. It's a weird feeling grief and it can be difficult to deal with. People do it different ways.

    Your life has definitely turned around and now you have a design job. Well done you!! I wish you all the happiness and keep blogging. You're obviously getting something from it :-)

    Emma Jayne x
    http://www.emmajayne-designs.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sweetheart, I cannot believe what a rough time you have had - I litterally have tears in my eyes and am so happy that things got better for you. Thank you for this post - its really inspired me.
    I am currently looking for jobs within social media and have been knocked back a few times due to no experience but your story had really made me think that I MUST keep trying.

    So glad to see the happiness life have brought to you now.
    Loveeee xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Sorry for your loss! I have personally found that blogging is one of the best decisions I've made x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Have just found your blog - I commented on another one of your posts today too, but I don't mean to stalk you haha! But I just had to say, I cried for you reading about your hard times and losing your dad. It sounds like he would be so proud to see you enjoying life again now. I am inspired by you! Here's to you having a fantastic 2015 :)
    Rebecca | The Two Twenty Somethings
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  38. My dad died when I was 2, leaving me now with no memory at all of him. Thankfully with lots of pictures though, thanks to my mom, who in turn, passed away also in 2012. I have always told myself as long as I had my mom, I'd be ok...hearing your story makes me feel like I too can survive, even though she passed away in 2012, to me, it still seems like yesterday. I absolutely love your blog, it's very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I'd love to know what you thought :)

Latest Instagrams

© Dorkface. Design by Fearne.