February Interview 2#

I had the incredible good luck of being able to interview Michelle from Creature Type; a Style, Illustration and Fashion blog. I've been a fan of Michelle's blog for a long time, and her work is incredible. I feel very grateful she took the time to speak to me, so I'd love if you all went and visited her. 

Enjoy!


1. Could you introduce yourself a little to my readers? :)
I'm Michelle Volansky, an illustrator and graphic designer from St. Louis, Missouri. I work daily as a production designer at a culinary magazine, do freelance illustration and design work, and sell my handmade goods at craft fairs at on Etsy. My style is very feminine and colorful and I love playing with textures and pattern.

2. How did you get into Graphic Design and Illustration?
I've been an artsy kid my whole life, always enjoying drawing most of all. My first dreams in life were to teach art or be an animator, but during high school and college I realized that I most enjoyed working on still images and became more interested in illustration. Graphic design and illustration just went hand-in-hand for me and I thought design would be a practical, lucrative skill.

3. As an Artist/Designer; what inspires you?
I'm inspired by other creative people, fashion, interior design, patterns, color, and pop culture.

4. Could you name one of your heroes?
I'm not sure about heroes, but some of my favorite artists who inspire me to try harder every day are Mary Blair, Alphonse Mucha, and Glen Keane. :)

5. You have a fantastic sense of style, does it come naturally or do you really make an effort?
Thankfully, my style has always come naturally to me. It's never been something I've obsessed over. I think if you just draw a lot, your style will materialize organically. 

6. If myself or one of my readers wanted a custom illustration from you, are you open to that?
Definitely! I do lots of work for people who want portraits of themselves, pet, and/or family and illustrations for blog headers and other design elements. I do currently have a waiting list, but if you're interested pricing or snagging a spot on the list, you can always email me at creaturetype(@)gmail.com.

7. What is a typical day like for you?
On a typical weekday, I go to my design job at the magazine until around 4pm. After work, I always try to have dinner with my boyfriend and try to get some other work done--illustration work for clients and myself, any freelance design work I might be working on... close to craft show time I'll be busy working on sewing, printing, and jewelry making.

8. Do you have any advice for people wanting to work in a creative industry?
My biggest advice for any creative person is that if you want your art to be more than a hobby, you've gotta be ready to HUSTLE. Life doesn't get easier after school and you have to be a self-motivated go-getter or else nothing will happen for you. This is the area of my life/personality I work on the most. I could always be working harder, longer, and smarter! :)

9. Through the internet and blogging, people's lives can sometimes seem beyond perfect. Is there anything you struggle with which perhaps people wouldn't realise?
Haha, well, people probably I assume I'm more professionally successful than I feel I am. I know I'm always looking at other bloggers thinking "Wow, how does this person make enough money on their work/blog/shop to survive full-time?" My ultimate goal is full-time freelance so I get really jealous of those people, but I often later realize that they don't actually support themselves. Sometimes they work day jobs or multiple part-time jobs they don't ever talk about on social media. Many times they're supported by spouses or parents. This can be a relief but also really disappointing. I think like, "If they can't make it, how will I ever?"
I just try to remember how lucky I am to be able to do so many different creative things and support myself with art & design skills, even if they aren't 100% on my terms. I'm very privileged to even get to do that and I have an attainable goal to work towards. 

10. Can you name your proudest moment?
I like to think my proudest moment is yet to come, but my proudest in recent memory was Strange Folk Festival 2014. I was asked to design the promo illustration for the event, so I got to see it used on websites, printed promo materials, t-shirts, and even a billboard(!!!). I collaborated with other people and made patterns for fabric, nail stickers, and tote bags. I worked so hard to make awesome things for an event I love participating in and shattered my sales goal. It felt so great! 



Michelle's bloglovin, Twitter & Facebook.


post signature


Keep up to date with my latest posts by following me! :)
Bloglovin - Twitter - Instagram - Pinterest - Facebook

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! I'd love to know what you thought :)

Latest Instagrams

© Dorkface. Design by Fearne.