Get To Work On Your Blog


Sometimes people ask me how I've done something in particular with my blog, or they don't even realise they can fix something up on their blog with just a few simple steps. For a while now I've been resistant to do a post like this, because I didn't feel I was in any position to help people with technical things or anything to do with HTML. But I do get asked some of the same questions on a regular basis, and I do enjoy helping people wherever I can. So I decided to put a quick post together, explaining some of the things you can do to alter certain aspects of your blog; should you want to. 

Please let me be clear about a few things; I am no expert. I myself am learning all the time and there are way more knowledgeable people out there you can turn to. I have in fact turned to other bloggers such as Cat and Toni, from time to time. But I hope I can help some of you with these simple tricks! Also, I'm afraid everything I mention will be in regards to blogger only, as I have never used Wordpress and therefore cannot be of any use with it, sorry! Okay, let's crack on shall we?


1. CENTERING YOUR HEADER;

In Blogger, go to TEMPLATE > CUSTOMIZE > ADVANCED > ADD CSS
If you used "INSTEAD OF TITLE AND DESCRIPTION" for your header, copy and paste the following code - 
#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto !important;} #header-inner {text-align:center !important;}
and save. Your header should now be centered perfectly.
However, if you used "BEHIND TITLE AND DESCRIPTION" for your header, copy and paste this code instead -
#header-inner {background-position: center !important; width: 100% !important;}
and save.


2. CENTERING ALL WIDGETS;

In Blogger, go to TEMPLATE > CUSTOMIZE > ADVANCED > ADD CSS
Copy and paste the following code -
.widget {text-align: center;}
Save, and all your widgets should now be centered successfully.


3. ALTER THE SPACE BETWEEN WIDGETS;

In Blogger, go to TEMPLATE > CUSTOMIZE > ADVANCED > ADD CSS
Copy and paste the following code –
.widget {
margin: 5px 0 0 0;
}
Save, and all your widgets should now be spaced to 5px. 
You can change this number to anything you like!


4. CREATING AN AUTOMATIC SIGNATURE;

In Blogger, go to SETTINGS > POSTS AND COMMENTS
You'll see a 'POST TEMPLATE' option. This is where you state what you want your signature to be.
You can use the <center> tag to keep everything centered if you wish. You can add images, text, links. Whatever you want your signature to be. So for example, mine is like this;

So what I've done is center the whole signature, add an image, and then added my social links at the bottom. I do think this takes a very basic level of HTML understanding, so if you're still unsure of what all that means, I'd recommend visiting a helpful site like W3 Schools. They teach you all the basics of HTML and CSS to get you started :)


And there you have it; the very basic tips I use no matter how I change my layout, to keep things organised and looking nice. Hope this helps, and I may feature another post in the future with more tricks, if any of you find this helpful.



post signature


Keep up to date with my latest posts by following me! :)
Bloglovin - Twitter - Instagram - Pinterest - Facebook

29 comments

  1. This will be coming in very handy!! Thanks Jemma! Xxx

    Anisha ♥ www.allyouneedisredlipstick.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really useful tips, thank you!
    I've just found your blog and I already love it :) xx

    Sam | Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
  3. The automatic signature how to was really helpful - I've always wondered how bloggers do it! Thanks for writing these tips - your blog layout is lovely so they speak for themselves!
    Rebecca |<The Two Twenty Somethings
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww yay! Glad you found something useful! :) xx

      Delete
  4. FINALLY you are so good at html!! I'm so glad you've finally done this post!! Hopefully many more to come!
    http://thegirlwiththestrawberrytattoo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I'm really not I'm just okay hahaha! Silly. Xx

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the tips, I can never remember anything to do with html >_<
    Gill xxx www.eyelinerflicks.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these sort of tips, so very useful to us bloggers that are rubbish at all that kinda stuff :)
    Thanks Jemma!

    Pams Stuff and Things
    LORAC PRO Palette Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a pretty basic knowledge of HTML, but I'm always on the lookout to learn more and get better at it! These were very helpful and clear tips - I for one am grateful!

    x Kathryn
    Through the Thicket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Kath! Iv kept it basic for now but il probably do more! :) xx

      Delete
  8. This is so helpful! Thank you for sharing ♥
    Amy xx

    Perfect Imperfections

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fab.... definitely saving this. I need to add a signature to my posts, this is just the post to drive me to finally do it!!

    Rach xxx // illustrated-teacup.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh brilliant! Glad to help lovely! :) xxx

      Delete
  10. Such a useful post! Thanks a lot :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such good advice, I known all of my coding from the myspace days so these are great additions!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved this post, so helpful! I've been wondering how I can add automatic signatures to posts!

    Style Storms

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm totally bookmarking this for future reference Jemma! Thanks for the advice :D

    VioletDaffodils
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m a newbie to your blog, it’s awesome!! This post was really helpful and will be referring back to it. It’s always nice to share experiences with all aspects of blogging. I know minimal html but would love to learn more! Great post :-) xx

    Helen | Helens Fashion & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Still cannot stress enough how helpful this post is! :) You're amazing!

    Jay|PuzzlePieceLife

    ReplyDelete
  16. Still cannot stress enough how helpful this post is! :) You're amazing!

    Jay|PuzzlePieceLife

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks very much for your very usefull tips!

    Rachel xx

    http://www.rachelbustin.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. You technical GENIUS! Glad I stumbled across this post during my daily blog stalking session haha x

    www.lovelaughslipstick.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jemma, thanks for those very useful tips, but I still cannot centre my Linkwithin... is there any special code I need to use?

    www.humancat.co

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I'd love to know what you thought :)

Latest Instagrams

© Dorkface. Design by Fearne.