20 Art Journal Prompts


I'm someone who thrives on creativity, if you don't know that yet. I spend every single day expressing myself in various ways to encourage creative process, whether it be painting, creative writing, taking photographs, drawing or my Art Journal. Since sharing some snippets of this journal with you guys, I've had a lot of questions asking how I get ideas for it, or where I begin. So I decided to put together a page of prompts for you if you ever wish to start your own. The trick is to not go in with any expectations, simply put something (anything!) on the page. 


Here are 20 prompts to get your ideas flowing;-

1. Record a moment from the past week.
2. Illustrate your favourite memory.
3. Paint your worst nightmare.
4. Fill the page with text - write the first things that come to your head.
5. Paint the page, using only your fingers.
6. Make a collage based on a song.
7. Find a photo of someone in a magazine, stick in your journal and write a fictional life for that person.
8. Stick down anything you can to fill the page - glitter, stickers, photos, wrappers, buttons.
9. Write a letter to someone with things you can't say. Tear it up. Stick the pieces in your journal.
10. Pick a colour. Fill the page with things of only that colour.


11. Find a headline in a newspaper/magazine, stick it in and illustrate it.
12. Draw portraits of people on post it notes. Fill a page or two of them in your journal.
13. Explore word art. Use text as images.
14. Pick a quote and make a collage to represent it.
15. Draw yourself on your computer, print it out, draw over it. 
16. Draw something small, and repeat it as a pattern all over the page.
17. Take a moment to imagine what your current feelings would look like. Create it.
18. Draw yourself using any medium you like.
19. Use watercolours to fill the page, and sprinkle glitter on top while still wet.
20. Sketch your favourite place.



Hope this helps all you wannabe creatives out there! :]


post signature


Keep up to date with my latest posts by following me! :)
Bloglovin - Twitter - Instagram - Pinterest - Facebook

19 comments

  1. This makes me want to do all of these prompts right now! Great idea to get the creative juices flowing.
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These prompts are fantastic! I love how seemingly random your journal layout is, rather than using little cardboard corners and mounts etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when people do it that way to be honest! But I just find I'm definitely more of a messy/chaotic/layering/colourful sort of Artist haha :D xx

      Delete
  3. These are amazing ideas Jemma! I like to think I'm "creative" but never in art, always in acting or writing!
    Hattie
    hattiehards.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are SOOO many ways to be creative Hattie, I'm sure you're a creative whiz! :) I love writing so much too, I may do some writing prompts one day! xxx

      Delete
  4. Need to start keeping one of these, great ideas to get thinking creatively x
    eleanor's adventures // UK Fashion & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post- thanks for sharing. I really need to do some more stuff outside of uni because it's so uninspiring, but it's so hard to find the time. I have so many journalling books that I need to fill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww Lauren I know how you feel! I think Ive learned this past year though how important it is mentally to make that time for yourself to be creative and let ideas flow! :) Good luck! xxx

      Delete
  6. i love this! quite creative

    www.bumascloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome. I consider myself creative but cannot draw/paint/express it in a lot of ways.
    These are all really easy, creative, simply ways to start. I'm so tempted to go out and buy a book and start this.
    Kelsey x
    www.kelstagram.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these! I've never had an art journal myself but I love looking at them.

    xx Amanda | teatimetails.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a really good idea! Your journal looks beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how creative you are, ur journal looks amazing! I really want to give it a go myself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These prompts are great! I'm definitely going to come back here and try out some of these next time I'm feeling artistic!

    Claire // Technicolour Dreamer // Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such an inspiring post! Can't wait to try some of those things!...(or all of them) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I recently bought a blank notebook because I wanted to start doing creative stuff for this year, now I'm stuck because my creative juices seems like they're frozen or something. Thanks for these prompts. I really need them. :)

    Life With Antlers

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this idea, it's such a great and creative way to record memories.

    Beka. xo
    littleworldofbeka

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the ideas! Will definitely visit some of these ideas when I'm stuck for what to do with my #create365 project!
    Lauren // OhHay Blogs!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I'd love to know what you thought :)

Latest Instagrams

© Dorkface. Design by Fearne.