Music That Runs Through My Veins

Recently I wrote a post about growing up, talking over some things I wish I'd known, mainly over my teenage years. Some regrets, some advice and tips I wish I'd been given sooner, or just some common sense which I clearly didn't have back then. Writing that post and thinking back over the past 10 to 15 years, really got me feeling nostalgic and brought back plenty of memories. The one thing that always brings me back to my teenage years instantly is music. The music I was obsessed with, would listen to constantly, would queue for hours just to see performed live, and the music I basically lived for. 

The thing I realised when thinking back to those years, was that there were certain bands I was utterly devoted to, and still am. Even to this day I listen to their music on a daily basis, they still inspire me and they are my 'Go To'  music for immediate joy/love/understanding/adrenaline rushes. So I decided to share these with you guys as these music artists have a special place in my heart :)

*Sidenote - I know these aren't to everyone's taste. No music ever is. This post is purely to share a piece of myself with you guys.

                                                                                  ♥      ♥      



First up we have The Distillers. You have no idea how much I adore Brody Dalle, I basically wanted to be her. Her raspy, gravelly voice, her amazing body, her kick ass style and no shit attitude. She is so fucking hot AND makes amazing music. Too good to be true really. A friend once described me as 'always going for the dirty girls', and I can see what he means with Brody. She was never clean cut or 'pretty', and it was inspiring. The Distillers remind me of times when I was a little more spontaneous, and probably a lot more drunk. Good nights with old friends, making new friends, and being out a lot. The music screamed down my ears, empowered me and ran through my veins. It still does.

Favourite Lyric: 'I never met a pearl quite like you, Who could shimmer and rot at the same time through'.

                                                                                         




As a girl who always had a soft spot for Emo boys, floppy hair, piercings and plenty of ink; I was never not going to be drawn to Blink 182. But attraction isn't enough, obviously. There's gotta be substance you can relate or connect to there. And god these boys deliver for me. Whether I'm feeling on top of the world, or miserable as hell, these guys have a song for it. It's hard to say what their music specifically reminds me of, because they have spanned so many phases and memories within my life. One of my favourite songs, 'What's My Age Again?' is one that always made me feel SO happy, fun and.. well, young. Like life is a lot less serious than we have to take it everyday. It's a good feeling. Unfortunately around 2008/2009 someone I was in love with shared many memories of this song with me. They did something particularly sweet, unexpectedly while purposely playing this song because they knew how much it meant to me. Fast forward to this same asshole ripping my heart in two and not giving it a second thought - this song now brings up some things I'd rather forget. So the song is now tainted for me a little, weird how that can happen eh? Nevertheless Blink 182 continue to speak to my little emo girl heart and stay a firm favourite.

Favourite Lyric: 'With all of this I feel now, Everything inside of my heart, It all just seems to be how nothing I feel pulls at me at all, Again I wait for this to pull apart, To break my time in two, Another night with her.. But I'm always wanting you.'
- Fun Fact; This is a lyric from 'All Of This' which is a Blink 182 Collaboration with Robert Smith. AKA the amazing lead singer from The Cure. Which leads me to...

                                                                                         



The Cure. Whether it's 'Lullaby', 'Friday I'm In Love' or 'Boy's Don't Cry', I'm always listening to one of these upbeat, yet dark and tormented tracks. It's so hard to think of a favourite if I'm being honest. 'Just Like Heaven' is actually my official happy song. I play it anytime I need cheering up, and every time I'm already feeling happy. It improves everything! Then there's 'Pictures Of You' which is so powerful it makes me feel kind of sad in those first few seconds of playing. It reminds me of a specific memory; travelling somewhere, listening to it and thinking of how much I missed someone. It's so painfully beautiful.It's the complete opposite of 'Just Like Heaven' but I love them both equally. The Cure are known for their Eighties vibe, and Robert Smith's signature look. Big, messy hair, black eyes and makeup streaked lips. I fucking love it. I regularly went for this look myself growing up. I mentioned before didn't I? I like dirty, grimy people full of attitude, haha. This band will always be there for me. Powerful stuff..

Favourite Lyric: 'Spinning on that dizzy edge I kissed her face and kissed her head, and dreamed of all the different ways I had to make her glow. "Why are you so far away?" she said, "Why won't you ever know that I'm in love with you, That I'm in love with you" '

                                                                                          



And finally Placebo. I only discovered this piece of music history in my first year of college, around 2004, when I seen a music video of a very androgynous man writhing around wearing makeup and still looking insanely powerful. Maybe I have a thing for men wearing makeup? Anyway, that man was Brian Molko and the band was Placebo. With alternative music that insisted you turn it up and lyrics like poetry, I was hooked from that moment on. I really believe Placebo push boundaries with their music, lyrics, style and performances and constantly surprise me. It's hard for me to even explain to you how much I love Brian Molko particularly, his voice has been playing in my ears for years and he's been captivating me with every performance. Favourite's include 'Nancy Boy', 'Pure Morning' and 'Where Is My Mind' (A Pixies cover). Go, let Brian seduce your ears immediately.

Favourite Lyric: 'You are one of God's mistakes, You crying, tragic waste of skin.' (AND!).. 'Carve your name into my arm, Instead of stressed, I lie here charmed. 'Cuz there's nothing else to do, Every me and every you.'

                                                                                            

If you bothered to read this all the way through, thank you so much! I know it's wordy one, but I really wanted to include this post for a while on my blog because this music is so important to me and something I feel so passionate about. Every band mentioned apart from The Distillers (sadly) are people I've seen live at least once. They are bands I will always love and respect and use to get me through anything.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, do any of you like any of the music mentioned? Let me know what music has stuck with you through the years :)


*None of these photographs are mine. All were obtained through Google images.



post signature

6 comments

  1. I love the Cure! I saw them live at Reading Festival in 2012 and they were pretty awesome. My favourite song is 'Why Can't I Be You?'. I love music and listen to it on a daily basis, I now feel inspired to share my taste with the world!xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, all of these bands are some of my old favourites too x
    eleanor's adventures // UK Fashion & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing post! those bands sound so cool

    www.bumascloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I was obsessed with Brody back in the day and I am still obsessed with Placebo! Brian Molko's voice is just... just... PERFECTION.

    Tanya | www.missfavitta.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!! And, I love all of the bands you've listed. I was completed obsessed with Brody. I've got Blink 182 lyrics on a tattoo as well. This post has really taken me back, thank you.
    Aimee
    http://aimeebelleblog.blogspot.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this post. Brody Dale is my hero as well, reminds me of my more angsty self back in the day :drifting into old memories:

    Batty4Beauty.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I'd love to know what you thought :)

Latest Instagrams

© Dorkface. Design by Fearne.