Autumnal Lipsticks

There is so much Autumn themed makeup around right now, it's difficult to keep up. But there really is nothing better than popping on a dark shade of lipstick to vamp up your look while you stay cosy in those blankets. Or if you have to venture out and face the cold/rainy weather, then you can do so knowing you still look like an Autumnal goddess under that big hood!

Personally I'm still on the hunt for the darkest of darkest shades, a purple so deep it's almost black; that sort of thing. One that preferably will compliment my hair and skin tone rather than make me look like something from Edgar Allen Poe's imagination. Although to be honest that sounds AMAZING to me.


So I've been browsing the high street lipsticks this week, and I've come across two shades that I instantly loved. Rimmel Moisture Renew Lipstick in 'As You Want Victoria', and Topshop 'Wicked'.


The Rimmel is instantly silky soft and bursting full of moisture as I apply and pout away, which I knew it would be as I have a few Rimmel Moisture Renew's already. Great for my dry lips.


Looking at the lipstick it seems quite pinkish and light, which is misleading unless you try it first. The actual shade applies much more of a darker, juicer red. I do very much adore a deep red, so this was a winner.
I found the staying power was okay, but not fantastic. I did eat and drink whilst testing this out, and after around 4 hours I needed a top up. But I'm not too disappointed there, given I only paid £6.49 for this in Superdrug. If you're thinking of trying this, I'd recommend swatching a tester first and see if the shade is right for you, because as I say it does apply darker. I'm very happy it did, as I don't suit pinkish reds, but each to their own.


Now onto the Topshop one. I'll admit this was actually the first time I've tried any Topshop makeup at all! I don't know why but there you go. I'll make more of an effort in future to get to know the range, because it's always nice to try something new :)


This is another that applies so differently than it's appearance. If you look at the actual lipstick, it seems like a chocolate brown. So much so, that I had to double check in the shop that it was in the right packaging! I really don't think I could pull off brown..


Applying this for the first time, I found I did need two layers of this to look 'finished', so maybe the pigmentation isn't as good as the Rimmel. That being said, I loved this colour so much more. Topshop had a huge range of shades to choose from, and this one is a deep plum that just screams Autumn. It might not be that perfect deep, dark shade I've been lusting after, but it definitely packs a kick. I also really like that this isn't as shiny as the Rimmel, it applies like more of a matte lipstick without losing any much needed moisture. I have dry lips, so completely dry matte lipsticks are no good for me. 

I found the staying power of the Topshop to be similar to the Rimmel in all honesty. I find it hard to say which was better, as they both lasted around 3/4 hours before needing a top up after eating and drinking. The Topshop Lipstick was £8 though, so maybe I should expect a little more from this?

Above: Rimmel 'As You Want Victoria'. Below: Topshop 'Wicked'.

For high street products with medium price ranges, I'd say these aren't bad. I'd happily buy more from both ranges, and explore more of their shades. 

If I was pushed to choose a favourite, I think I'd choose the Topshop 'Wicked'. I know the pigmentation isn't as great as the Rimmel and it's a little more in price, but it's not enough to put me off the product as a whole. I love this shade and I can see me wearing it plenty this Autumn!

What do you guys think, have you tried from either range?




post signature

27 comments

  1. Love the topshop one for the colour, I think I will have to pick that one up next time I pass the shop. Never tried their lipsticks either but sounds good to me :)

    Pams Stuff and Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have soooo many shades to choose from! :) xx

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried any Topshop makeup but I know a lot of people have found amazing products in their line. I love the colour of that one too. I also love the formula of the moisture renew lipsticks, they seem to actually nourish your lips a bit which makes a nice change!
    Francine from The Graduate Goddess xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do nourish your lips, mine felt like a dream!

      As for the Topshop one, I was surprised with the colour and LOVED it! x

      Delete
  3. I've got "As You Want Victoria" and I adore it. It was cute for autumn, I think it's cute for spring and... Yes, just an all round winner for me. I think there's a Topshop in the city somewhere so I might check it out when I have some time. I'm not sure how much a lipstick from there would cost me, but the colour looks really cute!

    Sarah xo
    Diary of a Beauty Padawan

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Wicked looks gorgeous! I'm loving all the berry shades lipsticks right now! x
    http://mummysbeautycorner.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Topshop Wicked looks gorgeous! Perfect autumn shade x

    Lauren x
    http://whatlaurendidtoday.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah it's not up there as the 100% best formula in the world, but their lipsticks are still really nice, have some good qualities and an impressive range to choose from! :) So I'm quite happy there tbh. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. These both look so stunning! I love A/W lip shades! :)

    Style Sunrise☀

    :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the look of both of these, I really want to try out the Rimmel Moisture Renew Range and that colour looks great :)

    Elle x
    Notes of Petranella

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look of these and I might pick up the Topshop one for sure, I've tried various Topshop makeup before and generally I really rate it :)
    prorebel.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like Topshop lipsticks even though they are not extremely long lasting. The shade you picked out is gorgeous! I will definitely be checking it out next time I'm in store x

    Beauty with charm | TOOFACED GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this shade so much, I think I'll be trying a few more Topshop ones for sure!xx

      Delete
  11. I love Autumn as an excuse to break out the bold shades! I love Beguiled from Topshop xx

    Cream Tea And Rose Jam

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Rimmel Moisture Renew lipsticks but I'm yet to try the Topshop ones. Both shades your picked up are gorgeous! x

    Speaking Beauty UK

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous colour choices Jemma :D I'm a big fan of Rimmel moisture renew ones :)

    www.violetdaffodils.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they feel like heaven on the lips don't they?! Thanks lovely! xx

      Delete
  14. I haven't tried any Topshop lipsticks but love their cream blushes :) The Rimmel shade is so pretty!

    JordanAlice

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the Topshop one looks so pretty.
    Zeynab xx
    The Beautifully Disastrous

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never tried any Topshop makeup but I really want too, Wicked looks beautiful! It's a shame it doesn't last longer than the Rimmel one considering it's more expensive but I'd still pick it up! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true but I'm the same - I think I'll still happily buy them :) ! xx

      Delete
  17. I adore topshop lipsticks! this is one I have been looking at for ages! I bet its gonna look stunning on you!
    http://thegirlwiththestrawberrytattoo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love Wicked, the Topshop one! Such a beautiful shade :-)

    phillifancies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never really took notice of Topshops lipsticks but since I've bought one i can't get enough! That shade is gorgeous xx
    Love VictoriaJanex

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have the Topshop "lip bullet" in the shade 'Get me Bodied' and I am in love with it! It is the right shade of purple in my opinion :)
    http://www.moshingzombies.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I'd love to know what you thought :)

Latest Instagrams

© Dorkface. Design by Fearne.