Confidence

girl photograph pose
Today I wanted to talk about confidence; on how you can have it in great, big generous amounts in some areas of your life, but in the most minuscule of amounts in others. Sit me down with a drawing tablet, or a bunch of paints and I'm almost completely confident in myself. I know I can create something I'm happy with, from nothing. I can use my imagination and skills to put together a whole new creation and feel proud of what I come up with, enough to want to show it off - even if I know it won't be to everyone's taste. That's the thing with confidence, you're not expecting everyone else to like you, or whatever you're confident in. You're just happy with it enough for yourself.

girl photograph pose


However on the other end of the scale; asking me to get dressed everyday can sometimes cause a problem. No, no.. not because I'm lazy and want to PJ it up all day (though that'd be nice, not gonna lie). It's hard because everyday for me getting dressed is a bit of a battleground. I won't say I hate myself... but it's close. Real close. Trying to do the smallest act such as simply choosing an outfit to wear can be hellish, it's very rare I'll look in the mirror and feel good. Chalk it up to me wanting to lose weight (very true) but the reality is this has always been an issue for me, even at a very small size (oh I remember those days...). I've always struggled with photographs, being the centre of attention, having people just stare at me, etc. And I'm pretty tired of it to be honest.

girl in hat


So I've decided I'm going to start a new chapter for myself, in an attempt to improve my confidence. I'm going to be selling off around 90% of my whole wardrobe, and starting afresh. I'll be putting a page up on the blog probably, with all clothing for sale; so keep an eye out for that. Each time I sell something, it's going to be money towards new clothing. And the rule is, I have to choose clothing that I truly love. No more buying things because I feel I should have it, or should be wearing it, OR because I think it will help me look a different way. 



I have to make sure it's something which reflects my personality, which is fun and versatile, something I won't change my mind about in two weeks, and something I'll feel confident in. It all sounds pretty obvious doesn't it? But I'm willing to bet we don't all shop like this all the time. I'll also be attempting outfit posts here on the blog, finally. I've always wanted to; since I like quirky clothing and I think it'd be fun. But always felt too embarrassed, like I'm too ugly, or I don't know what I'm doing. But fuck it. I'll give it a go. It won't be polished, or beautiful. But it'll be me. And maybe forcing myself to stare at these images will bring me some self confidence along the way.







*Luna would not pose. Haha.

Who knows how it'll go?

But I wanted to share this with you guys, in the hope you'll bear this in mind as I try new things on this blog. Confidence is something that takes years to build up, and moments to tear down. I'm really nervous, but also excited. Maybe I'll finally accept myself a little more.


Happy Tuesday guys! :)
post signature


Keep up to date with my latest posts by following me! :)
Bloglovin - Twitter - Instagram - Pinterest - Facebook

6 comments

  1. Wooooo go Jemma!! I think you look fab either way but it's definitely a really good idea to be making sure that you love something that you've bought. clothes can be expensive! Looking forward to seeing where this goes & I hope it makes you like yourself more - because you should :) I like to say things like 'I love my thighs because they're mine' - that might help as well? Great post as always! Gweni xxx

    www.gbeauty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I look forward to your posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! It's nice to do something you enjoy and that you know will build up your confidence. I can't wait to see all the new clothing you buy :), keep having confidence in yourself. (Coming from someone who doesn't ) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you girl! I've been doing the same thing all year, and I feel so much more confident in myself so it definitely works! Good luck x

    saphirluunee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you girl! I've been doing the same thing all year, and I feel so much more confident in myself so it definitely works! Good luck x

    saphirluunee.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I talk a lot and people think it's because I'm really confident but it's the other way I babble and I know I'm annoying but I can't stop because of nerves.
    Love this post Hun and you have a reason to be confident in both your work and yourself as a person as you are amazing and I'm glad to have met you!!

    Carrieanne xx
    Beautiesunlocked.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I'd love to know what you thought :)

Latest Instagrams

© Dorkface. Design by Fearne.