Why Caitlin Moran is my Spirit Animal



‘Do you have a vagina? And do you want to be in charge of it? If you said 'yes' to both, then congratulations! You're a feminist.’


If you haven't heard of Caitlin Moran before, then let me introduce you. She is a British Broadcaster, Writer and all round hero of mine.
She is a columnist for The Times and has had four books published so far. My first introduction to her was late one evening browsing Waterstones for my next literary obsession, and boy did I find it.



I saw 'How To Be A Woman' among a sh*tty little collection of 'Humour' books which weren't even in a designated section of the store, just propped along a sad, wobbly trolley next to the escalators. Clearly, Funny isn't big in Waterstones. But nevermind, I still love the place.
Anyway, this title stood out to me and really did grab my attention instantly. I mean, 'How to be a Woman' ? Well, I am one, so I did wonder what this book was going to teach me that I hadn't already figured out by age 25. I saw it as a challenge I guess.
I quickly scanned the back, and it read as follows..

'There’s never been a better time to be a woman: we have the vote and the Pill, and we haven’t been burnt as witches since 1727. However, a few nagging questions do remain…

Why are we supposed to get Brazilians? Should you get Botox? Do men secretly hate us? What should you call your vagina? Why does your bra hurt? And why does everyone ask you when you’re going to have a baby?'



Now she has my interest. Now I'm paying the nice lady at the counter and expecting a funny, quirky book with a couple of laughs. But what I got was even more. What I got was one of my favourite books I've ever read. One that made me laugh so much in public (on my own!!) to the point of embarrassment, one that made me really question how woman are seen not only in public society, but in day to day life with each other, and one that made me fall in love with a lady named Caitlin.

She says all the things I can't/don't say, she makes you feel better about yourself and able to laugh at things you never thought possible. She makes you think about the issues you may not have before, which affect you. She is fascinating, both in writing and life. Watch some of her interviews where she speaks so fast you'll have to try to keep up, see her giving talks to hundreds of men and women and making all the room laugh about masturbating. READ HER BOOKS. Seriously. I don't know how anyone can't love her.

When I read 'How To Be A Woman', I'd quoted it so much and laughed out loud so much and generally decided I was also a STRIDENT FEMINIST (as Caitlin does) so much, that I think my boyfriend was very interested to see what all the fuss was about. And he read it himself. And he laughed, and he loved it. He is a feminist, and a fan. And I love him even more for it.

If you're still with me, still reading this, then I THANK YOU.
I hope you are. But I do apologise that this post is a little different than the usual you were probably expecting. I like to write about things I love above all though. And Caitlin is one of them.
I've just finished reading her latest novel 'How To Build a Girl', and this one was also funny, but even more powerful, political and moving I'd say. One chapter particularly moved me, talking about Working Class people and hit close to home on some issues. She did me proud once again.

I just wanted you all to know of her really, and hopefully go read her books.
Let me know if you do, or if you're already a fan?





Thanks for reading guys! xx
post signature
Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments

  1. I love Caitlin Moran! I haven't read any of her books though so I might have to buy it. Great review :)

    macinmybackpack.blogspot.com x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant review. I really enjoyed her 'how to be a woman book', it's on my list of reviews to do! It made me really think about so many different subjects and now I really want some yellow shoes! Looking forward to reading her other three. Lucy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I'd love to know what you thought :)

Latest Instagrams

© Dorkface. Design by Fearne.