A 10 Step Detox For Your Home

A 10 Step Detox For Your Home

'A tidy space is a tidy mind'. This is something my Mum used to say to me all the time growing up, it was annoying. I didn't care, my space was crazy and my mind didn't care. I've always been a bit of a messy person, not only in my home habits; but my general style all over. My art is more freestyle, spontaneous, messy layers of work. My outfits are a mish-mash of colour of prints. And my schedule... well, that shit is crazy.

I'm just not a super tidy, well put together person. I'm really not.

I'd love to be though, and I've SO felt the benefits lately of getting my shit together. Especially at home. Over the past few weeks, my other half and I have been having a huge clear out, getting rid of all unessential items, and redoing our home in small, simple ways. But it's made a huge difference already! I honestly feel like my whole life is coming together better now, and I thought I'd share with you guys today my very best tips.


1. Clothes.
You don't need to go totally crazy and end up with a capsule wardrobe (though well done if you do!), you simply need to be honest with yourself. Have you worn this in the last 6 months? If the answer is no, is that because it's not the right season for it? If the answer is still no, bag it up! Donate it all to a local charity shop, sell it all or give to friends and family. It'll leave you more space, and a wardrobe full of only clothes you love, that are useful, and that you WILL WEAR.

2. Sentimental items.
Okay, this one might be hard. But we all tend to accumulate a lot of crap over the years, because of sentimentality. Photos are always good to keep, and special gifts. However you do not need that cheap, tacky, broken bracelet you and your BFF bought 8 years ago while on holiday. You'll be okay without it, I promise.



3. Digital.
A digital detox can take so long, as the amount of data, information and crap we keep on our computers can really build up. If you've had your computer quite a well there's especially going to be a huge chance you need a clear out. Clear out ALL emails (it feels SO good!), save photos and music to a hard drive, and organise all your folders. I promise you it'll be totally worth it, and you might even make your computer run a little better with all the extra space!

4. Technology.
Speaking of computers, do you have old laptops/tablets/phones hanging around the house? I'd be surprised if you said no. Save anything from these that you need, and then sell them or throw them away (safely)!

5. Food.
Go through your fridge, freezer, and all cupboards and bag up any food or condiments you won't use. You'll free up a bunch of space and your kitchen will seem so much cleaner and more organised! :) Remember to check all sell by dates!

6. Books/Dvds.
Sadly, the age of needing as many books and DVD's is on it's way out. You might be like me, and love to hold a physical book in your hand; but you really can' deny the handy power of a Kindle (or Netflix rather than DVDs!). Keep your absolute favourites you've collected, and donate everything else to a charity shop that could really use it.

7. Beauty.
Oh god, this one is hard, I'll admit. Easily the hardest one of all for me. Be RUTHLESS. Check dates on skincare, throw away makeup you've had way too long, clear out and refresh your stock of pads, brushes, sponges and other tools. Maybe you can't part with any of your 20 palettes, that's fine. But there is still probably a lot you can get rid of. Maybe you can make up a little care package of items to give to a friend?

8. Mail.
I don't know about you guys, but I've gone paperless with almost all my bills now and it's the best thing I could have done. It's still worth checking if you have a bunch of papers/collected junk you can throw away though. Keep the most recent/very important - and dump the rest! (Remember to dispose of it safely and cut up/shred any important info!)

9. Medicine.
I feel like such a grown up with this one, haha. But over the years we've accumulated quite the medicinal collection. It's obviously always good to keep things like plasters/bandages, but don't keep really old, out of date painkillers/meds or creams. Make a list of the essentials you need, and dispose of the rest. You'll feel like a grown up too ;)

10. Magazines/Newspapers.
Surprisingly, I often have quite a bit of print media around the home. My other half buys newspapers, and I have a thing for collecting magazines. My favourite magazines (such as Frankie, ID, Vogue) all build up in our home, especially as I love using them in blog photos - but they can take up so much space! I've learned my lesson now. I keep no more than 3, use them for photos, then replace them.



I really hope this list of tips helps you guys, as I've found it has changed my home life! :) I feel so much more organised and better about our home now. Here's hoping I can keep it that way.





 photo SIG_zpsjqlmpka9.png
 photo VOTE_zpseru7sbqp.png

Keep up to date with my latest posts by following me! :)
Bloglovin - Twitter - Instagram - Pinterest - Facebook

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading! I'd love to know what you thought :)

Latest Instagrams

© Dorkface. Design by Fearne.